Monday, October 6, 2008

Why I Love Live Music

Last month we ran an e-news contest asking readers to tell us about their “Most Memorable Live Concert Experience.” I’ve been at the ASC for almost 10 years now and have also worked for the ASO and City Stages. A good portion of my adult life has been spent seeing shows (or at least traveling to shows or working shows). I’ve even flown to NYC in a night just to see Neil Young, and then flown back – twice! So, as you can imagine, I’ve had some pretty memorable concert moments. Last month, I had my most memorable to date and wanted to share it with my fellow music lovers…

hiatt_car_web.jpg

I have watched The Last Waltz two dozen times and have always been a huge fan of Levon Helm and the Band. It’s been my dream for a while to catch one of his famous Midnight Rambles in upstate New York, but have never been able to make it happen. So when I saw he was coming to the Ryman in Nashville, I was elated. Heading to the Ryman, my husband and I were griping about why the show was a 7 p.m. start time, when the standard is 8 p.m. We soon found out! After taking our seats, the crew came out and said that there was a documentary being produced on Levon’s life and that the concert footage from this night’s show would be used in the film. Soon the cameras started rolling out and the audience was asked to stand and applaud, to an empty stage, pretending as if we had just seen the most amazing live show ever. Silly, yet fun! Little did we know, the surprises were just beginning. Levon and his band, including his daughter Amy and legendary Dylan guitarist Larry Campbell, began the show with one of my all-time favorites, “Ophelia.” Helm glided into the next number saying he was bringing out an old friend and introduced old time blues man Little Sammy Davis. After their song, Helm pulled another stunner and introduced Alison Krauss and Robert Plant! We were seated so close to Plant, I could see ever line on his face! The crowd loved their version of Leadbelly’s “In the Pines.” Next, he brought out (my hero) Sam Bush and Buddy Miller who stayed on stage and played with the band for the rest of the show. The hits kept coming with Helm bringing Sheryl Crow up from the audience where she was seated and performing a chill bump-inducing version of “Evangeline.” After Crow, John Hiatt (who’s here at the ASC on Oct. 10 & 11) took the stage, along with Steve Earle, Delbert McClinton, and a bevy of other Nashville musicians. It was great to see these artists sharing the stage with one of their musical idols. It was obvious that everyone on the stage and in the audience owed a huge musical debt to Helm and were only to happy to show him how appreciative they were. The show closed with a group rendition of “The Weight” and “Forever Young.” Classic.

This is what live music is all about. It’s why I drive to Nashville on a “school” night to see a show. It’s why I work long hours for very little money. It’s why my well-loved iPod will never replace sitting in an audience waiting for a performer to walk on stage. It’s why I love music! And, it’s why if I get lucky enough to meet John Hiatt after the show this weekend, I’m going to tell him “thanks” for being part of such an amazing night of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment