Monday, October 20, 2008

Interview with Jungua Creator Mark Edward McGuire

I'm fascinated by Martial Arts and Asian culture, so when I found out the Alys Stephens Center would present Jungua: Descendants of the Dragon this season, I knew I had to see it! The family-friendly show will feature some amazing sights - from Kung Fu moves and weaponry, to acrobatics and contortion. Jungua is similar in style to what you find in a Cirque du Soleil performance, but this show highlights thousands of years of Chinese tradition and culture.



Below is a promotional video for Jungua and below that is an interview with the show's creator, Mark Edwards McGuire.  You can catch Jungua: Descendants of the Dragon at the ASC on Saturday, November 1 @ 8 p.m. and Sunday, November 2 @ 3 p.m.



Q: How did JUNGUA come about?


MM: It began with (producer) Yan Yan Zhao’s idea to do a Shaolin kungfu show. I really like what the monks do, but it was too narrow of a focus for me. My inspiration was to combine the masculinity of kungfu with the feminine grace and beauty of female contortionists and acrobats. It opened up a world of possibilities.



Q: What is the concept behind the show?



MM: To create a microcosm of traditional Chinese culture and presents it to in a way that is exciting and accessible to western audiences. I wanted to create a great evening of entertainment based on authentic Chinese culture, but without cultural barriers.



Q: What do you mean by “cultural barriers?”



MM: Western audiences have no frame of reference for “Chinese style” acting, storytelling, music and dance. The style has been ingrained in Chinese audiences from birth, and they can appreciate it on a level which we never could. For us, it’s like watching a foreign film without subtitles. It quickly becomes tedious when you don’t understand the “language”.



Q: How do you get around that?



MM: You translate. It is kind of like the artists are “speaking” their native Chinese, but it is being translated for the audience. I see myself as the translator. I want the audience to feel disoriented at first, as if they are in a strange land. Then, as the evening progresses, my job is to help them to gain more and more understanding about that place and its inhabitants. So the cultural aspect is paramount, but at the same time the show has to be dynamic, interesting, and highly entertaining.



Q: Does the show have a storyline?



MM: There is no narrative. We want each member of the audience to think and feel for themselves, to take away their own personal impressions, emotions and discoveries. Our approach is to enlighten and entertain without explanations. Some scenes which are short vignettes, while some are more poetic and still others are like living paintings. I took a lot of inspiration from Chinese history, art, myths, religions, and philosophies, but everything is open to interpretation by the audience. From a creative perspective, the underlying inspiration was the Asian concept of “Yin and Yang” - the opposing forces which create balance in the universe. I wanted to take the audience into a world where beauty and danger live side by side, and you’re never sure which one you will get.



Q: How would you sum up JUNGUA?



MM: More than anything, JUNGUA is a celebration of life and human potential. We can live vicariously through these amazing artists whether they are creating great joy and beauty, or looking fear in the eye and redefining the boundaries of human limitations. Then we can each leave the theater with a smile on our face feeling enlightened, energized and somehow optimistic. For me, that’s what great entertainment is all about.”

1 comment:

  1. I saw this show tonight with my Son. I am BLOWN AWAY..
    this is THE most Amazing show I have ever seen...
    I Love showing my Son different cultures.
    He yahooed, clapped and sat wide eyed the entire show..
    I did too!!
    I'm SO grateful Alys Stephens provides this forum to allow us to
    celebrate, honor and support such a wide array of many wonderful heritages and cultural programs.
    Variety is truly the Spice of Life!
    Thank You for SUCH an INCREDIBLE and BEAUTIFUL show...

    ReplyDelete