Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Behind the Scenes Opening Weekend

As the Artist Coordinator at the Alys Stephens Center I have the distinct pleasure of providing hospitality service for all our visiting artists.  I spend time with them more than any other person in Birmingham so you can imagine how many stories and experiences I have collected.  Here's what happened to me during the opening weekend of our 2008-09 Alys Stephens Center Season with BeauSoleil and Wanda Sykes.

It was a pleasure hanging out with BeauSoleil on Friday night before and after the show.  Their Cajun fraternity had been established by many years of being on the road together.  Inside jokes, casual banter and a love for pecan pie was proof their history together ran deep. So deep, in fact, that they were able to play this joke on me.

Fiddle player, Mitchell Reed made me believe that he was Michael Doucet's son from another marriage and that he and Michael had just reunited 10 years ago after a DNA test had proved he was his son.  He told me music reunited them and all but revealed without a shadow of a doubt they were blood related.  Mitchell's Mother then confessed to the story and the rest is BeauSoleil history.  When I asked about his Mother, he told me he didn't want to get into it, so I kindly backed off.

Now, maybe growing up in a Jerry Springer World it had made me very accepting of this story, maybe I'm just naïve, I really don't know why I believed it.  When I came back in the green room, David, Michael's real and actual blood brother said, "So Michael, Liz got it out of us.  She finally found out the real story behind you and Mitchell."  It was at this time I realized I had been seriously duped.  I blushed and said, "F***.  Maaaan.  I can't believe I fell for it."  The rest of the band was breaking up, collapsing in their chairs with laughter.  Then I said, "I better go find the people I told your story to that you're full of S***."  More laughter.

Even though I told Mitchell I wasn't talking to him for the rest of the night, it wasn't to punish him, but to save whatever dignity I had left.  I didn't really mind so much, I had so much fun, even if it was at my own expense.  I also have a wonderful memory of them singing Steve Martin's "King Tut" and The Rascals "Good Lovin.'"

BeauSoleil and LizRight before they left I got a picture with them.  I gave them two thumbs up.

If you saw the Wanda Sykes show you know that the first 15 minutes of her act were spent speaking about the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute.  She had flown in that afternoon and frequented The Wynfrey and Galleria Food Court before going on her tour at the Museum.  She visited Birmingham briefly but I had time with her in the elevator for a few seconds.  When I asked her if she enjoyed her stay in Birmingham she was very polite and said "Oh, yeah, I had a lot of fun."

Wanda and ASC Tech CrewShe (and Keith Robinson) even took a picture with the crew after the show.  While waiting for the spot op's to come down from the grid for the picture, we spoke about UAB.  When realizing what the ‘B' stood for she said "Birmingham.   Oh yeah, that makes sense.  I'm a genius."  Then we wished her well and she was gone.

BeauSoleil and Wanda Sykes were a great way to start my weekend and a great start to a  wonderful 2008-2009 Alys Stephens Center Season.  Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment