Monday, March 15, 2010

Diary of a Cowardly Lion- Entry One

Dear Alys,

It is true, I am becoming an animal again….. I am reprising my role as the Cowardly Lion in Jerry Sims’ original work ASC Kids’ Club presents Down the Yellow Brick Road. I have had the opportunity to play so many wonderful characters in my years as an actor. In all honesty, The Cowardly Lion, is a highlight and it’s such a joy to be roaring again for the Alys Stephens Center.



We had our first rehearsal yesterday and, just as I remembered, the script is fantastic, the songs (written by both Jerry and Ron Bourdages) are a treat, the cast is top notch and most importantly, I can’t wait to inspire the imaginations of all the kids and parents that come to the show. That is, in my opinion, the central theme of Jerry’s script…. Use your imagination.


Using my imagination to create something new with the Lion is difficult, because The Cowardly Lion is iconic, as are all the characters, in L. Frank Baum’s The Wonderful Wizard of Oz and the movie version featuring Judy Garland. I think I have the courage for it though. It’s a pleasure to be able to share this with the kids of Birmingham. I will keep you posted on our progress, but it’s already proving to be a remarkable experience. Tonight we start blocking…… until later.

Cowardly,
The Lion

1 comment:

  1. Chin (and mane) up, young feline! You will undoubtedly find that which you seek.

    ReplyDelete