Monday, August 31, 2009

What Happens Between Events at the ASC?

Another view of life at the ASC. Thanks Dana!

It has been an exciting couple of weeks here at the Alys Stephens Center. After all of our Drama Camps wrapped up, the staff was informed that there was a movie production that wanted to rent our venues, dressing rooms, lobbies, and even the Haskell Courtyard to film their project.

The movie is called Lifted. It is about a small town guy who wins an American Idol- like contest at the Alys Stephens Center.

Work here is never the same every day. In the course of preparing for the movie, I had to research the artwork that is found in the Abrams Patron’s Lounge and the lobby. This included hunting down Frank Fleming to sign a release for his statue, The Performers, to be in the film. I also had to Google and use the online Yellow Pages to chase down Jin G. Kam, whose painting Consolation features Vladimir Horowitz at the piano.

The script and schedule is subject to change on a daily basis to make the best use of time. Performances are unpredictable in general, but we usually know they start at a specific time!

I am coming back from a break to enter my office, and there is a guy standing near my door, who I have never seen before in my life. “Could you please not go that way right now? We’re worried that it might affect the sound.” My office was near the room they using for a scene, and I couldn’t go to my desk. Mind you, there have been other times that I had to stay in my office. (Namely President Bush was doing a Press Conference a few years back, and the Secret Service was in every nook and cranny of the ASC). So I waited until they yelled cut, and was released to go inside. Life is a little less ordinary when even your trip to the water cooler has to be rerouted to avoid causing a scene that wasn’t intended.


by Dana Pharo, ASC Performing Arts Asst.

No comments:

Post a Comment