Monday, April 26, 2010

Know the Difference Between Zydeco & Creole?



Check out this interview with Grammy-winning artist and ASC LIVE ON THE PLAZA featured performer Terrance Simien.



Q: What is Zydeco?
A: Zydeco music is one of the most unique and wildly popular forms of American Roots Music. A Southern music tradition that is revered all over the world. It is the indigenous music of the multi-racial, multi-cultural French speaking Creoles of south west Louisiana and the core instrumentation is the accordion (diatonic-button & chromatic-key) and the frottoir (or rubboard). The word Zydeco comes from the African word “zaico laga laga”, meaning “to dance”. Many zydeco songs are sung in French. The music has evolved a great deal throughout the years and has become a fusion of many different styles and musical influences. The one constant in the music has been the change. The notable Dr. John of New Orleans was once quoted by CNN in an interview, stating that “if the music aint changin’ - it’s dyin”. Clifton Chenier changed the music from the days of Amede Ardoin. Amede Ardoin changed the music from the days of the jure and so the change continues. The earliest form of zydeco music was called the jure: the slave songs, the spirituals, field songs, call and response all a cappella and without instruments. Today zydeco music is featured in film, TV and national advertising and has garnered 3 Grammy awards in the past 20 years.

Q: Who is a Creole?
A: Most standard dictionaries indicate that a Creole is a native of Louisiana descended from the original French settlers. A person of African and mixed European, esp. French and/or Spanish decent. However the Native American and German roots are prominent as well in the Creole community. In St. Landry Parish, LA, the Simien family is one of those first families documented to have settled that area. Some experts say the Louisiana Creoles are part of one of the “most complex rural sub cultures in North America.” Dr. Carl Brasseaux, author of Creoles of Color in the Bayou Country, states that the Creoles were some of the “first families of Louisiana” and official records reflect that they have been here for over 300 years. I am 8th generation Creole and my father’s first language was French.

Q: Where are you from?
A: I grew up in the small church parish community of Mallet, LA in St. Landry Parish, which is considered the “Capitol of Zydeco Music”. My band is from Mallet (Ralph), Lafayette (Danny), New Orleans (Sammy), Mexico (Jose) and Greece (Demetri).

Q: When did you first start playing music?
A: My first instrument was the family piano, but it was in High School that I really got serious with the trumpet and then the accordion about the same time.

Q: How’d you get started playing?
A: When I was 14-15 my parents bought me my first accordion. I would record the zydeco shows on the radio, take the tape in my room and practice until I learned the material. I picked some guys from the community to be my band, whoever was available at the time and just started playing local dances at the church halls. Then I moved onto the zydeco club circuit of Louisiana and Texas. A woman I knew from DC, Patti Harrington booked my first “national tour” to the NE in 1983. I signed with a national booking agency in 1985 and the rest is history!

Q: How long have you been playing professionally?
A: Over 20 years now. Two decades and millions of miles later I have performed in over 25 countries to probably a million people now. If I did the math and reached, modestly, 50,000 people a year for 20 years, that’s an easy one million, right? My friends and road family make my life on tour so much easier. The promoters who I cannot even call promoters any more cuz it’s just too impersonal, have become like family. Our fans, another word I cannot use comfortably, because these generous people take us into their homes and introduce us to their parents, their kids, their colleagues and they also become friends and also more like a family. How many wedding receptions we have performed for-you don’t spend this important day with someone and not feel a type of kinship-it’s one of the greatest compliments to be included in this special celebration. Another one was when someone wrote to us to tell us our music was played at the birth of their child! That was really something special.

Q: When was your first big gig in front of a large audience?
A: The World’s Fair in NOLA in 1984. I could not believe the response and the applause we got from those audiences. At home in the church halls and zydeco clubs, they don’t really applaud, so when I experienced this for the first time, I knew this was the way it should be and this helped inspire me to push forward.

Q: How long has your band been with you?
A: Ralph and Danny have been with me for like 15 years. The others different lengths of time. My guys are so important to the music and the mission and they support me in so many different ways. I am very fortunate to have such talented and committed artists to help me fulfill my artistic vision.

Q: Have you ever played New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival?
A: Every year for the past 18 years.

Q: When is Mardi Gras and what does it mean?
A: It’s always the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi means Tuesday and Gras means Fat. In medieval France they would fatten a cow to kill for the feast on the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday, which starts the 40 days of penance before Easter and the resurrection of Jesus. At home we still celebrate this holiday and abide by the 40 days sacrificing something we enjoy.

Q: Do you cook and what do you cook well?
A: I love to cook! Of course like most guys, I pride myself on my barbecue. But I really love to cook gumbo and sauce picquante. I my gumbo I use turkey based sausage and tasso (smoked meat used for seasoning) products from Best Stop in Scott, LA along with shrimp and crab claws. I use dry roux that also helps make it more lean and healthy. I sometimes fry a pretty good catfish and shrimp in the backyard. We live 20 minutes from Delcambe where the shrimp boats come in and so we like to drive down to buy the absolute freshest shrimp you can find!

Experience Terrance Simien & The Zydeco Experience at the ASC next Thursday, May 6 for the first LIVE ON THE PLAZA outdoor live music & dance event. Tickets are $15 in advance / $20 day of and at the door. Purchase at www.AlysStephens.org and by calling (205) 975-2787.

No comments:

Post a Comment