Tuesday, February 2, 2010

You Could Win Free Tickets to Next Weekend’s Shows


Celebrating the Alys Stephens Center February 8-13


The UAB Family is talking about the Alys Stephens Center and we’re posting the chatter!   “If they aren’t playing at the Alys Stephens Center, I probably won’t go see them.” Those are the words of UAB RN Becky Langner, just one of thousands of people who see the ASC as the cultural hub of Birmingham.  Feb. 8-13 is “UAB Loves ASC” week, and UAB is celebrating the Alys Stephens Center with ticket giveaways, discounts, and more. UAB Faculty & Staff are encouraged to share their own ASC experiences for chances to win tickets. Simply comment on this blog or email jesssimpson@uab.edu with your story. You will be entered in a drawing to win a pair of tickets to the Three Dog Night performance Friday, Feb. 12 and the Soweto Gospel Choir performance on Saturday, Feb. 13. The drawing will close at 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 11.

“The performers and performances are diverse, exciting and top quality. I mean once you’ve heard the Marsalis Brothers, Willie Nelson, and the Alabama Symphony in that wonderful, acoustically perfect hall, you are absolutely spoiled. Every performer I have seen has commented on the quality of the facilities.  I couldn’t agree more,” Langner says. “I have a hard time each year deciding which performers to see. But if I change my mind, the staff in the ticket office are extremely accommodating about ticket exchanges. As an employee, I can pay for my tickets and my donation for support by payroll deduction. The ASC and its varied programs are a treasure for Birmingham, and a shining star for the UAB community. It’s a wonderful benefit. We are lucky to have it!







And Becky isn’t the only one talking up the ASC.  UAB Health System CEO Will Ferniany, Ph.D., became a big fan of the Alys Stephens Center when he returned to Birmingham in 2008 and saw firsthand the exceptional quality and variety of the featured artists and of the venues. “The calendar of events ranges from traditional performances to innovative offerings that would otherwise be unavailable in Birmingham — the center truly provides something for everyone,” he said. “The center truly provides something for everyone. It is part of UAB’s mission to promote the cultural enrichment of the community, and the Alys Stephens is an integral and very special part of that effort. I encourage our faculty and staff to learn more about the center’s current season —its 13th — and to get a live, up-close view by attending a performance.”


Check out all events during UAB Loves ASC Week. To purchase tickets to Three Dog Night and Soweto Gospel Choir, visit AlysStephens.org or call (205) 975-ARTS.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy the Alys Stephens Center and have tickets to the Eclectic Series this year with a group of women and we have enjoyed the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura Tucker GallitzFebruary 9, 2010 at 4:34 AM

    I've seen many outstanding and diverse performances at the Alys. Some of my recent favorites include taking my grandmother to see the ASO perform Handel's Messiah. It was simply amazing, and she talked about it for days afterward. My husband also took me to see one of his favorites, Joan Baez. I was blown away. We both were moved to tears during her version of Steve Earle's "Christmas in Washington." And my parents got me tickets to see the Indigo Girls with Brandi Carlile. We had fantastic seats...just a few away from our good friends. Carlile became one of our new favorites and we enjoyed a memorable show - one of our last major outings before our baby arrived. She rocked out with us in utero! We love the Alys Stephens Center!

    ReplyDelete