Monday, January 11, 2010

Songs That Have You Singing Along


I can remember being a little girl, probably 5 or 6, and dancing around my grandmother's beauty shop singing "...If you feel like loving me, If you got the notion. I second that emotion. Said, if you feel like giving me a lifetime of devotion, I second that emotion..."  The shop never had a shortage of willing back up singers, grandmas in big rollers, Farrah wanna-bes getting frosted tips, and teens in the chair for their first perm (ah the 70s, but I digress.)

That's the thing about the music of Smokey Robinson, it's cross-generational and timeless.  Last week I was going back and listening to a lot of his music in preparation for our gala announcement.  It's crazy, I think I know the words to every single song.  Just think of all the hits:

Cruisin'
Being with You
Tears of a Clown
I Second that Emotion (already established as my fav)
The Tracks of My Tears
You've Really Got a Hold on Me
Ooo Baby Baby

The list could go on and on.  I bet you too have a favorite Smokey song.   If so, tell us about it and why it's your pick.  One lucky respondent will win a pair of tickets to see this musical icon LIVE at the ASC!

And, it should be quite a live show!  The Florida Theatre presented a performance by Smokey last fall and the director and staff there still haven't stop talking about what an incredible evening it was.  You know it's something special when your peers in the busy go ga-ga over a show.

The Alys Stephens Center is proud to present SMOKEY ROBINSON as our featured artist for the VIVA HEALTH STARLIGHT GALA on Saturday, April 24th.  Two package are available and tickets are currently onsale at AlysStephens.org and 205.975.2787.  All proceeds from the gala benefit the programming and educational outreach programs of the ASC.  So, you get to see an amazing performer and you are helping the community!

4 comments:

  1. How do you win the tickets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK I think I got it. Sorry I am slow - just got excited about seeing Smokey! LOL

    OK Being with You, Cruisin', Tracks of my tears, and Ooh Baby Baby, Just to see her and I will shake things up a bit and move forward and say Ebony Eyes LOL All are my favorites! LOL I am sure I forgot some though. :-)

    My love for Smokey started as a little girl. I used to listen to him with my father... You better shop around. My father LOVED Smokey. He is deceased now so my love for Smokey is a little sentimental. Sometimes I cry when listening because it's one of the only connections I have left to my father.

    I have longed to see Smokey for years now but have not been able to. It's funny, I had just googled Smokey Robinson concerts last month b/c I decided I wanted to treat myself with a birthday trip to see him in February but did not see anything I thought I might be able to attend and did not see this so I had kind of given up - then out of the blue, it's a "Miracle" (I know- cheesy :-) ). I saw this. I wasn't even looking anymore and saw this by accident!!!!!!!!! I actually thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. I MUST SEE SMOKEY!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more question- and I hate to act like a crazed Elvis fan but Smokey brings that out of me! LOL When will the winner be announced???? Maybe I overlooked that also. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe my favorite Smokey song is Ooo Baby Baby. I remember hearing that song when I was much younger, I'm only 23, and my parents would dance the night away. I remember the look on my mother's face when she heard that song. She closed her eyes and moved her hips and was instantly transformed to another place and time.

    ReplyDelete