Monday, October 26, 2009

Lizz Wright dazzles the ASC!


The extremely gifted Lizz Wright graced the Alys Stephens Center’s intimate Sirote Theatre on October 23, 2009 with her gorgeously smoky voice. Wearing a coral dress, a black shawl, and sandals--both of which she later discarded, Wright opened the night with “Old Man.” Her powerful and multifaceted contralto rode the song well, as one could hear a yearning in her voice that effortlessly fused folk and jazz. At one point, Wright stepped away from the microphone and became lost in the music as she danced and lightly tapped her chest--something she would do often that night. Wright’s music is an eclectic mixture of jazz, blues, gospel, rhythm and blues, soul, and folk; the way she intertwines the genres are astounding. Her gospel roots could be heard in “I Idolize You,” where the organ backed her soulful voice, and the guitar appeared to “talk” back as her voice floated over the song.


At times, Wright’s voice was emotive, delicately touching the inner chambers of one’s soul and not just their ears. She took the audience on a journey through love, deliverance, and life. Her exquisite vocal arrangements were electrifying, particularly when she sung “Hit the Ground,” a song her “daddy likes” as she put it.


Wright’s voice is lucidly beautiful, raw, and has the power to evoke passion. Her performance was moving, with her voice echoing a sweet tenacity. Wright stole the show with a traditional gospel song, “Walk With Me Lord,” that she blended with smooth jazz. Her voice was pleading and hopeful as the fluidity of the organ pierced the theatre. Mid-performance, Wright pulled off her earrings as she sung “hold my hand Lord,” and reached her hand out for emphasis.



Wright’s voice is pure in its simplicity and depth, a brilliance that can only be cultivated. She sung in different registers, artfully going from low to high. Her vocal arrangements were awesome as she plaintively yearned for love and affection, which were enough to resonate in one’s heart. Wright performed “Another Angel,” “My Heart,” “Stop,” “When I Fall,” “Blue Rose,” “Trouble,” “Coming Home,” “Easy Rider,” “Hey Mann,” “Salt,” and “Thank You.”


A big thanks to Shermika Dunner for reviewing the Lizz Wright show!

8 comments:

  1. I hate that I missed this event. From the article, I feel like I missed an amazing performance. And I love the gospel song, "Walk with Me Lord." I would have enjoyed listening to Ms. Wright's adaptation of the song. I will definitely be looking out for more opportunities like this one. I would like to thank Ms. Dunner for giving me such a descriptive account of the perfromance.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review!! I actually saw the show myself and it was GREAT. Your review is through, entertaining, and informative. Keep the reviews coming Shermika!!! I LOVE ASC!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice review. I have never heard of Lizz Wright, but intend on checking out her music after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful review! I didn't attend the event, but after reading your review I wish I had! I love the ASC and wish you and them much success! Thanks Shermika for your take on a gifted artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's rather surprising to me that I've never heard of Lizz Wright until now considering I once resided in Valdosta, Georgia...a few miles away from her small hometown of Hahira. Listening to snippets of her sound on iTunes and knowing of the electric atmosphere that the Alys Robinson Stephens Performing Arts Center provides probably made for a great show. I really like how you vividly described this experience from what the artist was wearing to her voice and even the minute movements she made while she seemed lost in the music. It really felt like I was there. This is a great review and I appreciate you sharing the experience. It opened my eyes to an unknown talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not familiar with Lizz Wright. Your article about her has peaked my interest. Perhaps, I'll check her out on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was at the show. It's been two weeks since it happened and I still can't get it out of my head.

    Wish there a recording of it available. An amazing two hours of great music.

    ReplyDelete