Monday, October 5, 2009

Jim Lauderdale Has a Few Surprises in Mind for ASC Audience

We caught up with Nashville's busiest songwriter and performer to discuss his upcoming ASC show and the intimate On Stage w/the Band format.  

jim lauderdale

ASC: I was lucky enough to catch you perform at the Ryman this summer with Elvis Costello. What was it like playing and recording with him?

Jim: It was amazing experience, I still can't believe it happened. It looks like we will be doing more touring in 2010. One of the highlights for me, was that we started writing together. That's a real dream come true and I hope to do more.

ASC: You seem to be a regular at the Ryman. I noticed you recently hosted the Americana Music Awards again. Do you feel a different energy performing there than in other venues?

Jim: Yes I do, there is so much history in the place that I can feel the vibrations of past performers and performances, like Hank Williams, that graced that stage.

ASC: Tell us what your working on these days. Any new collaborations or solo projects in the works?

Jim: I am finishing a record of collaborations with Robert Hunter (co-writer w/ Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead). We started writing together about 10 years ago, when I was doing my first record with Ralph Stanley, Robert is one of my favorite writers of all time and it's a blessing to get to work with him. We've written probably close to 60 songs together.

ASC: For the Birmingham show at the Alys Stephens Center you’re performing in the bluegrass trio format. As an artist, what does this format allow that maybe you’re not getting to do in other settings?

Jim: I actually might bring more than a trio to surprise you!

ASC: Speaking of setting, the show here is part of the ASC’s “On Stage w/the Band” format, meaning it’s super intimate with audience members actually seated on the stage with you. Any thoughts on what this might mean for your show?

Jim: It sounds like it is gonna be a really fun experience for me. I've never performed in that kind of setting, so I'm really excited about it and looking forward to being with you all!

Great seats are still available to see the JIM LAUDERDALE BLUEGRASS TRIO, Wednesday, October 14th.  The show is part of the ASC's "On Stage w/the Band" series.  $40/on stage.  $35/right above stage.

Call 205-975-2787 or visit www.AlysStephens.org for tickets.

No comments:

Post a Comment