Monday, March 9, 2009

All Hail the Queen

I love to see an artist evolve and show me what they can do. You really don’t see it often, but the ones that can do everything, usually try it. Some succeed and some do not. Have you seen anything from Vanilla Ice since he did the movie “Cool as Ice?” I didn’t think so. Britney Spears, although she’s had some success on the small screen, hasn’t done anything on the big screen since “Crossroads” and for good reason, because that movie was really a stinker . What about stars crossing over from the screen into the music world? Sometimes I want to say…. “Oh, no you didn’t.”



There are those stars that can do everything and succeed. Queen Latifah anyone? If you haven’t heard her early rap work, you should, because it is ground breaking. If you haven’t seen “Chicago” or “The Secret Life of Bees,” you should, because they are both astounding performances. If you haven’t heard her jazz albums, they will amaze you. Queen can do it all. Not many artists can do it all, but she can. I’m happy that I get to hear that jazz soon and very soon. When they announced the ASC gala artist for 2009…. I said to myself… “What better? A Queen!”

Check out Queen Latifah’s version of “Poetry Man” here.

Don't miss her live performance at the Alys Stephens Center on April 4, 2009! Great seats are still remaining! Tickets are $125 each and include a posh pre-show reception with complimentary wine, beer, and hors d’oeuvres and reserved seats for Queen Latifah’s performance. This is the Alys Stephens Center’s only fundraiser of the year and the funds raised benefit the Center’s educational and programming offerings. For tickets, call (205) 975-2787.

1 comment:

  1. QUEEN LATIFAH!!!! I am a huge fan!

    While there are many artists who are considered a triple threat(actor/singer/dancer), I think that the amazing, constantly evolving, and extremely talented Queen Latifah offers much more.

    As an actress she can be hysterically funny (Mad Money) and poignantly serious (The Secret Life of Bees) and really shows her chops as a musical theatre talent (as in Chicago and Hairspray). She is truly gorgeous (she is the face for some make-up line that I cannot remember!) and a spokesperson for Jenny Craig weight management line, but for me the sign of a great artist, is one who is able to shed the glamor and be unafraid to take on roles that are gritty, unattractive and homey. She seems to be magnet for roles of all types.

    Unlike, some in the entertainment world she has continued to polish her image with good work and low personal profile. She is one who started in street world of hip-hop, she has morphed into a sophisticated and elegant songstress with an old time jazz/ballad sound in her new "Trav'lin'Light" CD.

    Having watched her grow, what I admire most is her ability to make me feel happy! So like you, I am expecting the gala to be a great time with the Queen in the house!

    ReplyDelete