Friday, January 23, 2009

Chris Thile returns to the ASC

I have to admit, when Nickel Creek came to the ASC two seasons ago I didn't consider myself a fan.  I had never really taken much time to listen to their music and just thought it wasn't for me.  That all changed about 3 songs into the show.  I often think the word "virtuoso" is overused, but that was the word spinning in my head as I watched Chris Thile play.  Really amazing.  (My husband says the words that came into his head were "show off" and "annoying," but...to each his own.)



From everything I've heard from Thile's new band PUNCH BROTHERS, the sound is just fun and accessible, but still highly-skilled. "How to Grow A Women from the Ground" is one of those rare discs that I'll put on and play from start to finish - without shuffling (that never happens!)  So, I expect next Saturday's show to be a bright spot in an other-wise quiet musical January. 

If you're coming to the show, plan to stick around for the After Party.  Local madolin player Jason Bailey's band is performing and there's a chance that the guys from the Punch Brothers will stop by.  (They are definitely planning to sign cds in the lobby after the show.)

Check out this recent interview with the band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7TeNlPLp0

No comments:

Post a Comment